The best pre workout for cutting (like anything else) depends. First and foremost, you should not expect a pre workout to contribute to weight loss more than consistent movement & diet execution. The combination of those two will always reign superior to any supplement or "super-supplement" that you may be taking. Can a pre workout help contribute to fat loss? Definitely can! Unfortunately marketing can make a product look like it's doing more than it really will, so we're going to dive in and show you what to look for when winter breaks and it's time to shed some weight.
The best cutting pre workout depends on a few factors like:
1. What style of workouts are you doing? Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Crossfit, etc all have different needs for performance pre workouts.
- Bodybuilding Cutting Pre Workouts will have thermogenic ingredients in it, but also have ingredients to help with blood flow, muscle contractions, and hydration.
- Powerlifting Cutting Pre Workouts may not have ingredients aiding in blood flow and muscle contractions as that can inhibit positioning and may hinder the execution of a heavy lift.
- Crossfit / Endurance Sport Cutting Pre Workouts will also likely avoid the pump and blood flow ingredients, but have added endurance / hydration ingredients to aid in energy longevity.
2. How far do you have to go? Are we shedding 5-10lbs? Are we shedding 100lbs? Those two people will have drastically different needs.
3. What's your diet type? High carb, keto, paleo, carnivore, etc will all have different supplementation needs and therefore have different needs in pre workout performance.
4. Stimulant tolerance. Are you a high stim, low stim, or no stim type of person?
5. How much do you want to sweat? Sweating doesn't always mean more fat loss, but it can. It depends on the ingredients causing the thermogenic effect and their results with burning fat.
Most cutting per workouts often share similar thermogenic attributes even though most will have different ingredients to get you there. Let’s take a look at these thermogenic ingredients:
- L-Carnitine - This ingredient is going to be one of the most popular ingredients you’ll find within a thermogenic pre workout. It’s relatively low cost and if dosed & sourced properly can give you a great euphoric sweat. Keep in mind though that L-Carnitine by itself doesn’t have a ton of science pointing in the direction of it aiding fat loss, but it will make you sweat!
- GBB - Gamma-Butyrobetaine. Increasing GBB forces our body to create more L-Carnitine naturally which provides the endurance and sweat, without the high dosing of L-Carnitine orally. While the thermogenic effects of GBB can be felt right away, actual fat loss may take some time. Consistency is key here.
- Paradoxine - Also known as grains of paradise in many formulas, paradoxine is an ingredient similar to the ginger family. It helps with burning adipose tissue and energy output. Paradoxine is very potent and generally dosed pretty low.
- L-Baiba - Commonly known as MitoBurn (trademarked brand), L-Baiba has been very popular in the supplement industry. L-Baiba can help with energy output during training, regulate metabolism, and may even support insulin sensitivity in the long term.
- CocoaButerol - Theobroma Cacao L extract is a common ingredient used to help with energy output and fat burning.
Although you may see more ingredients within your cutting pre workouts, those are the core ones you’ll see on most products.
Best BodyBuilding Cutting Pre Workout
'Merica Labz - Red, White & Boom Napalm
Crushing your workouts, enhancing your mind-muscle connections, and increasing blood flow are absolutely necessary for a bodybuilding pre workout. That’s why we think Napalm by Merica Labz is the #1 cutting pre workout. Not only is this dosed favorably with MitoBurn, Cocoabuterol, and GBB, but it also has heavy stims, a full pump with pure citrulline, and a strong focus. This product is a rarity in that it is truly a one-stop-shop type of product.
Best Powerlifting & Strength Training Cutting Pre Workout
Muscle Force - Defiant Shredded
If you’re looking for a good strength training pre workout that won’t give you a pump that inhibits your ability to set up and train correctly, Defiant Shredded will definitely exceed your expectations. From flavor to increasing energy levels to the thermogenic effects, you’re going to love this formula from Muscle Force. Defiant Unleashed is one of the top selling pre workouts on the market and Shredded holds its own in the thermogenic pre workout category.
Best Endurance & Crossfit Cutting Pre Workout
Black Market Labs AdreNOlyn Cuts
Keeping stims manageable for long lasting effects is important for endurance training. If you go too high with the caffeine you come down too fast and the crash is unbearable. Black Market Cuts has a good combination of stimulants, thermogenics, and beta alanine. Flavors are top notch too.
What To Keep In Mind When Buying A Thermogenic Pre Workout
- If you have a favorite pre workout already and you’re crushing your workouts, making progress from week to week, it may be better to add the thermogenic ingredients in separately. This way you’re still getting everything you want + the thermo effects. Doing this will increase overall cost, but give you exactly what you’re looking for.
- There are powdered, caffeinated fat burners in the market. Products like these may deliver exactly what you’re looking for, but without stuff like pump ingredients & beta alanine. If you’re not looking for those things (strength training & endurance training) then this may be the most potent route to go. Products like Unbound Unlock are no joke for this use.
- Just because a product has an ingredient in it, doesn’t mean it's properly dosed. While clinical dosing isn’t always the end-all-be-all, it’s a good rule of thumb to go by when purchasing a pre workout for weight loss.